Common Pet Toxins


Let’s be honest…we’ve all been guilty of feeding our pet’s a treat or two from our plates. Whether it was accidental, or just giving in to that nagging puppy face, it happens! If you’ve ever taken the time to look up common toxins, you might have been shocked to read the list…it truly includes that they can include ingredients that we use every day! Today we’ll be sharing a few of the most common toxins that you should be aware of as a pet parent.




Let’s focus on #3: Human foods. Take a look at this list by the Humane Society of the United States. Though they give a fair warning that “This is not an exhaustive list; any decision to provide your pet with food not specifically intended for animals should be discussed with your pet’s veterinarian or a board certified veterinary nutritionist.”

  • Alcoholic beverages

  • Apple seeds

  • Apricot pits

  • Avocados

  • Cherry pits

  • Candy (particularly chocolate—which is toxic to dogs, cats, and ferrets—and any candy containing the toxic sweetener Xylitol)

  • Chives

  • Coffee (grounds, beans, and chocolate-covered espresso beans)

  • Garlic

  • Grapes

  • Gum (can cause blockages and sugar-free gums may contain the toxic sweetener Xylitol)

  • Hops (used in home beer brewing)

  • Macadamia nuts

  • Moldy foods

  • Mushroom plants

  • Mustard seeds

  • Onions, onion powder, and onion flakes

  • Peach pits

  • Potato leaves and stems (green parts)

  • Raisins

  • Rhubarb leaves

  • Salt

  • Tea (because it contains caffeine)

  • Tomato leaves and stems (green parts)

  • Walnuts

  • Xylitol (an artificial sweetener that is toxic to pets)

  • Yeast dough

(Source: https://www.humanesociety.org/resources/foods-can-be-poisonous-pets)


Did one of these surprise you? It's important to note that some peanut butter even contains Xylitol! Be sure to look at the back of the jar before purchasing. So what happens if your pet gets ahold of one of these other toxins? The Spruce Pets, a vet-reviewed website, lists several of the first steps to take including: identifying the poison and seeking professional help (your pet’s vet office, emergency clinic, ASPCA poison control hotline*, etc.) as well as preventative measures like getting ready for an emergency before it happens and taking precautions to prevent poisoning. You can read the full article by clicking here.

*The ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (APCC) is your best resource for any animal poison-related emergency, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. If you think your pet may have ingested a potentially poisonous substance, call (888) 426-4435. A consultation fee may apply.


--


New to our page? Compassion Animal Project is a nationwide, donor-funded, 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that provides financial assistance for life-saving treatments for pets and helps keep families together. Be sure to follow along with us by clicking the links below!


Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Tiktok




10 views